Energy Engineer Illinois
Join our team of zealous energy-efficiency superheroes.
From energy consulting to decarbonization strategies, Energy Sciences helps commercial, industrial, and municipal clients identify and eliminate waste to increase their energy eﬃciency. We improve facility systems, create unique and measurable plans, and conserve energy while saving millions of dollars in the process. Taking a strategic and comprehensive approach, we activate the best practices and people to produce truly impactful results that improve the longevity of our planet.
This position has a home-based office in the state of Illinois. Up to 25% of local travel is required. A local candidate is preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical or energy engineering
- Two (2) or more years of energy efficiency experience
- Technical Knowledge of:
- Conducting energy assessments
- Refrigeration and compressed air systems
- Process cooling/heating systems
- Custom computer modeling of systems and energy use, industrial control, and data‐logging of systems
- Working on-site with commercial and industrial customers
- Writing reports and delivering presentations
- Utilizing tools such as Microsoft Office, with intermediate experience using Excel (modeling, data analyses, etc.)
Preferred Additional Experience
- Certified Energy Manager (CEM)
You will join a team dedicated to helping industrial customers manage energy use by providing technical expertise through energy efficiency programs. Some of the day-to-day activities you would be involved with might include:
- Perform project tracking, including M&V planning and baseline data analysis
- Manages projects in a fast-paced consulting environment
- Provide overall management, direction, and accountability on assigned projects to ensure progress and on-time, high-quality deliverables
- Calculate energy savings for various system or equipment changes using existing calculation tools, original spreadsheets, and/or generally accepted methodologies
- Review third-party energy efficiency project data analyses, methodology, and reports for technical accuracy
- Interpret data collected from customer sources or via installed data logging equipment to verify energy efficiency performance
- Site visits to assess and verify equipment and operations as they relate to ongoing or completed energy efficiency projects
- Engage with customers and service providers at their industrial locations to identify additional energy efficiency opportunities
- Communicate technical issues with a diverse audience on their level in a way that facilitates understanding and buy-in
- Maintain a general understanding of utility programs and their compliance requirements
- Contribute to peers’ projects through technical discussions and work review
- General familiarity with, and passion for, energy and efficiency.
- General understanding of the industrial project approval process as well as typical barriers to this process and techniques for working through these barriers
- Knowledge and understanding of project financial metrics and the use of these metrics to sell projects to key stakeholders.
- Exceptional critical thinking, problem-solving, and decision-making capabilities
- Understanding appropriate codes and standards
- Ability to work both independently and in a team environment
- Project management and organizational skills, with the ability to adeptly juggle multiple projects, customers, deadlines, and demands
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to comfortably interact with internal and external customers and stakeholders and serve their needs
- Understanding and compliance of internal policies and procedures
- Comfortable performing a variety of fieldwork and interacting with customer staff and vendors
- Strong knowledge of industrial technologies and energy efficiency best practices
- Proactive, resourceful, and highly motivated to contribute and meet the team’s energy efficiency goals
- Ability to see issues from the customer’s perspective
- Ability to teach or explain technical topics to audiences with different levels of technical understanding
- Strong analytical skills, with the ability to move from the “big picture” to smaller details quickly and easily
- Proficient with MS Office and an understanding of SharePoint features and reporting abilities.
We offer an excellent full-time benefits package including DAY 1 benefits (medical, dental, vision, life, STD, LTD), a retirement plan with match, profit sharing, 13 paid holidays, and 120 hours of paid time off starting in year 1.
More about Energy Sciences
Energy Sciences is on a mission to create a more sustainable and socially responsible energy future. We value working as a team, questioning the status quo to find new and better ways, doing our work with integrity, and taking responsibility and initiative to get things done. We provide professional consulting, training, and energy management services to commercial, industrial, and municipal sectors, delivering customized solutions and sustainable strategies.
Energy Sciences is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive employment consideration without regard to race, color, citizenship, religion, national origin, gender, gender expression, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, veteran status, height, weight, genetic information, or status in any group protected by federal, state, or local law.
If you are interested in applying, please submit your resume.